Statkraft and Agder Energi join forces on wind power

15.08.2008 08:00 | pressrelease

Statkraft and Agder Energi signed an agreement today that forms the company Statkraft Agder Energi Vind DA. The new company will handle all new projects concerning development, construction, operation and maintenance of wind farms in Norway. The company, which will have its head office in Kristiansand, will become the leading market player in the onshore wind power industry, aiming for a minimum capacity of 1,500 MW by 2015.

“The wind conditions in Norway provide a unique opportunity for power production and the climate challenge requires a firm focus on renewable energy. Creating Statkraft Agder Energi Vind DA is therefore an important step towards achieving the Norwegian wind power potential. This will make Kristiansand and Sørlandet Norway’s biggest wind power centre,” said Tom Nysted, CEO of Agder Energi.

Statkraft will be the majority shareholder of Statkraft Agder Energi Vind DA. The chairman of the new company will be Haakon Alfstad, Senior Vice President Wind Power in Statkraft.

“Working together with Agder Energi will make us stronger and give us a better position to reach our goals within the wind power area. Wind power is a capital-intensive industry that benefits from big economies of scale. Our collaboration means that Statkraft and Agder Energi gain a bigger and more flexible project portfolio, as well as opportunities to develop both greater environments of expertise and stronger specialisation in different disciplines,” said Jon Brandsar, Executive Vice President from Statkraft.

Statkraft Agder Energi Vind DA will be the largest wind power company in Norway and will be a driving force in the development of wind power as an essential means of achieving climate improvement, increased security of supply and growth.

“The climate challenge requires a greater focus on renewable energy and it is therefore essential that the framework conditions for wind power development are better defined,” said Tom Nysted and Jon Brandsar.

Statkraft and Agder Energi will together build competence centres that will represent the leading expertise in wind power development. A centre for the purchase and acquisitions of advanced wind power equipment will be based in Oslo, while expertise in wind analysis, operations and maintenance will be based in Kristiansand.

“There is an active industry- and R&D environment in the region, including the University of Agder, which has recently established its own line of study within renewable energy. The head office will contribute to the expertise and the financial and industrial growth in Sørlandet and makes Kristiansand Norway’s wind power capital,” Tom Nysted said.

Statkraft
Statkraft is a leading player in Europe within renewable energy. The Group develops and generates hydropower, wind power, gas power, solar power and district heating and is a major player on the European energy exchanges. In Norway the company supplies electricity and heat to around 600,000 customers through its shareholdings in other companies. In 2007 Statkraft posted a profit after tax of NOK 6.6 billion and employed around 2,300 employees in ten countries. The world needs pure energy. Statkraft works to deliver this every day. www.statkraft.com

Agder Energi
Agder Energi is Norway’s third largest power supplier, with 1,200 employees and a yearly power production of 7.8 TWh. Statkraft is the biggest shareholder with a 45.5 per cent share, while the remaining 54.5 per cent is owned by the 30 local authorities. www.ae.no