Facts about gas power
- Gas-fired power plants bridge the gap between the oil and coal age and a future based on renewable energy.
- Gas-fired power plants can replace far more polluting coal and oil-based electricity production.
- Gas-fired power plants have the lowest carbon emissions of all power plants burning fossil fuels.
- Modern combined cycle power plants have an efficiency of at least 57.5 percent.
- A great advantage of modern gasfired power plants is their flexible production, which means that output can be adjusted to meet current demand.
- Natural gas can be used directly for household heating and cooking, for industrial purposes, as a fuel for vehicles and to produce electricity in gas-fired power plants.
- Russia is the world’s largest producer of natural gas, while Norway is the seventh largest producer.