Statkraft presents climate for business leaders
29.11.2013 | news
A new report commissioned by Statkraft disseminates the very latest climate science into a clear and digestible read for business leaders. The report highlights the urgency of climate action.
"Climate Science: A perspective for business leaders" was launched this week at Statkraft's Climate Round Table. The 52-page report cuts through the jargon, politics and sheer volume of climate science reportage led by government and the scientific community to give business leaders a concise, straightforward overview of the very latest findings.
The green shift
- Business leaders are vital in the transition towards a low-carbon economy. I initiated this project to provide an independent, clear, logical and compelling analysis of the state and frontiers of climate science. I believe businesses can play an important role in terms of pushing for the green shift in the economy, and I even believe this could be profitable, says Statkraft CEO Christian Rynning-Tønnesen.
The climate science report, produced by Xyntéo, was first commissioned by Statkraft, with DNV GL, Royal Dutch Shell and Tata Consultancy Services coming on board as sponsors in a truly collaborative project.
A scientific conclusion in the report is that temperatures, if carbon emissions are following the present high trajectory, will reach 3.2 to 5.4°C above pre-industrial levels by the end of this century.
Continued warming will have other effects on the climate system by the end of the 21st century, including:
- A rise in global sea level that could reach 1.5 metres
- More heat waves and droughts
- More storms and floods
- Impaired supplies of fresh water
- An increase in the ocean’s acidity by 100% to 200% above pre-industrial levels
- Loss of ice, snow and permafrost
Climate Science: A perspective for business leaders
|Climate Science Report|