Werrawerk hydropower plant
The run-of-river hydropower plant Werrawerk is located along the Werra River near Hannoversch Münden in Lower Saxony in Germany.
1924Entered into operation
2.6 MWInstalled capacity
9.1 GWhAnnual production
The power plant was built during the period 1921 to 1924 by PreussenElektra, later called E.ON Energie. Statkraft took over the plant from E.ON at the beginning of 2009.
The plant's three Kaplan turbines provide a capacity of 2.6 MW. The historic machine hall with its impressive architecture is under monumental protection since 1985.
Statkraft protects biodiversity and after taking over the plant has established fish-friendly operations. We monitor eel migration with special devices (migromates) and switch to fish-friendly operation mode as soon as eels start to migrate towards the sea.
The Werrawerk site is also is the branch office for the other run-of-river hydropower plants within the operational area Weser, including Wahnhausen and Affoldern.
The central control room for monitoring the run-of-river hydropower plants in the Weser, Werra, Fulda and Eder rivers is located in the pumped-storage power plant Erzhausen.
The Werrawerk hydropower plant
Turbine at Werrawerk hydropower plant
The Werrawerk hydropower plant by night