Statkraft Tofte AS operates under the PEFC chain of custody system and the SBP collection and communication of energy and carbon data system, which are both independently audited and certified.
There are two elements to guaranteeing high sustainability with respect to biomass:
- Management of the cultivation and harvesting of the biomass (“Land Criteria”)
- Greenhouse gas emissions associated with the harvesting and subsequent transportation of the biomass material all the way to conversion to heat or power (or both) in a generating station (“GHG Criteria”).
Statkraft manages its wood chip supply activities and evaluates biomass sustainability with respect to these two fundamental elements.
Statkraft is certified for Chain of Custody management of wood-based biomass by PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) and SBP (Sustainable Biomass Partnership). PEFC and SBP are independent, non-profit organisations that aim to promote responsible forest management worldwide, supporting products produced with respect for the highest ecological, social and ethical standards.
As a PEFC chain of custody certified company Statkraft is committed to maintaining PEFC standards and values associated with responsible forest management and provision of greenhouse gas information.
These values mean that Statkraft proactively avoids:
- sourcing harvested wood biomass from forests where high conservation values are threatened by management activities;
- wood harvested in forests being converted to plantations or non-forest use;
- any risk of wood being illegally harvested (as assessed under the EU Timber Regulation 995/2010);
- wood harvested in violation of traditional and civil rights;
- or wood from forests in which genetically modified trees are planted.
Sustainable Biomass Partnership
The Sustainable Biomass Partnership represents the latest developments and enhancements in supply chain sustainability. Working with EnviroSense, Statkraft has developed internal procedures and documentation to comply with the requirements of the SBP Framework. Our approach has been audited by NEPCon and Statkraft became an SBP-certified supplier of wood chips in August 2016.
GHG, Carbon Balance Calculations and SBP SBRs
Statkraft uses an internationally recognised and transparent GHG emissions and feedstock reporting methodology. Statkraft uses reference values quoted in SBP standards to calculate the emissions for the full biomass lifecycle and throughout the entire biomass value chain. Statkraft publish the results on our website to demonstrate accountability to all stakeholders, in the form of our Supply Base Reports (SBRs). These can be downloaded here below.
Statkraft’s vision of supplying sustainable wood chip
When supplying any wood chip Statkraft’s goal is to promote responsible management of forest worldwide, with an eye to environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests. By selling wood biomass that is either SBP or PEFC certified, Statkraft aims to demonstrate its commitment to responsible forest management and wood biomass sourcing, by providing evidence for our customers that our products are sustainably harvested, processed and shipped.
Statkraft aspire to set a precedent within the industry to ensure that our biomass is not associated with risk and reputational loss to Statkraft customers. SBP and PEFC Chain of Custody certification reinforces Statkraft Tofte’s commitment to be the safest and most professional supplier to purchase from.