Hakavik power plant
Hakavik power plant is located in Øvre Eiker Municipality in Viken County.
1922Entered into operation
7 MWInstalled capacity
21 GWhAnnual production
The power plant was commissioned in 1922 and initially consisted of four generating units with vertical Pelton turbines and a smaller generating unit for local supply. From the beginning, Hakavik has produced "railway power" (single phase 16 2/3 Hz).
A new generating unit was installed in 2019 to replace the old units. The new generating unit of 4.9 MW with a horizontal Pelton turbine with two jets is installed in the location of the old unit 4.
The plant supplies power over three "railway power lines" to Asker, Skollenborg and Sande.
The machine room's eastern gable toward Eikeren still shows the camouflage paint applied by the Germans during World War II. This was to protect the power station and underlines its importance for the infrastructure of Eastern Norway. The fact that the plant was seized by German airborne troops on the first day of the invasion of Norway on 9 April 1940 also confirms the importance of the plant.
The plant's technical equipment, including four Pelton turbines, is virtually unchanged from when it was installed.
Hakavik power plant is one of the oldest power plants in operation. It is a national heritage site and is proposed to be included in Statkraft's conservation plan for cultural heritage buildings. This applies to the power station's exterior and interior, as well as warehouses, carpentry workshop, penstocks and parts of other installations along the waterway.
Hakavik power plant was designed by architect Sigmund Brænne.
All four of the original generating units are planned to be retired.
The east wall still shows the camouflage paint the Germans applied during World War II.
The penstocks and buildings are to be protected as heritage structures.
Control room, the console was always staffed in earlier times.